Succession Models To Follow
Episode #74 of the Third Turn Podcast with Mark L. Vincent
Succession planning often lands in the category of planning a funeral or making an estate plan. Good to do. Rarely get to it. And what little we get done is paltry in comparison to the planfulness needed to do it well. This is ironic because starting an enterprise required planning or no investors would come on board! The irony continues with each year’s budget plan, and the occasional strategic planning in which we engage. Why would we think planfulness disappears once the subject shifts to succession? In episode #74 features Mark L. Vincent provides four models we might follow in succession planning, each one growing from the weekly Maestro-level letter he sends to his Clients.
- Mark’s long-time colleague, Arlen Vernava: succession is steak, not cake!
- Isaac Deutscher’s biography of Leon Trotsky: the rise of one leader makes it harder for other leaders to rise.
- Jazz great Hugh Masakela: we win when we leave the game.
- Charlene Vincent: pledging one’s troth with patience for life-long projects.
- Arlen Vernava, a colleague and expert on strategic interim services.
- Isaac Deutscher, The Prophet: The Life of Leon Trotsky.
- Hugh Masakela’s song: Don’t go lose it baby.
- Sentences of the Syriac Menander
Listen to the Episode Now:
Or Listen on your Favorite Platform:
About The Third Turn Podcast & Maestro-level leaders:
With each episode of the Third Turn Podcast, we host a conversation among leaders who want the world to flourish for generations beyond their lifetimes.
Listening with others in some way and enjoying in-depth conversations of your own as you reflect and choose what you would do the same or differently is a plus!
We always welcome you sharing these podcasts with others as well as sending along any suggestions for making these podcasts better.
Tags:succession planning, multi-scenario planning, Maestro-level Leaders, The Third Turn, The Third Turn Podcast, Third Turn Blog, Third Turn Leaders
June 20, 2023